Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Pinterest Post

Lately I've been spending my evenings tooling around on Pinterest finding yummy recipes, craft projects, and decorating ideas. Last week I made a casserole TOIAW loved which is really saying something because he hates casseroles. [I think he liked this one because I made my own "cream" sauce rather than using canned creamofwhatever soup. It was really good, I must say.] I've also pinned some really cute craft projects and I've tried a couple of those as well. But what I really love are the decorating ideas.

We have a nice, sturdy, comfortable medium brown leather couch and love seat. It's practical for us because I never have to worry about the leather getting dirty and it's good quality so the dogs don't scratch it, etc. We also a 20+ year old hand-me-down arm chair that still looks great and darker brown entertainment center and coffee, sofa, and end tables which were all purchased while I was on bed rest. TOIAW went shopping and sent me pictures and that's how I chose them. I wouldn't recommend this approach to you, by the way. Anyway, we also have a kitchen table that was mine in my mid-twenties and no formal dining room furniture.

We thought about (okay, I'm probably the only one who really thought about it) buying a more formal kitchen table but I didn't. There's actually a store here that sells gorgeous, solid bare wood furniture at reasonable prices but I'm not sure when I could/would tackle the project of finishing the pieces if I went that route.

Sorry, this is an extremely dull stream-of-consciousness post...I'll get to the point.

How do I find my decorating style when I move all the time? This summer when I visited the Gutsy Family in their GORGEOUS new home, I noticed several pieces of furniture that had been in their home in Germany. I don't ever feel like my things "fit" like that; it seems like we always have an unfinished look. But I have vowed to take what I have and make it work when we move to D.C. By golly, it is going to be a homey home for all of us! We are not going to live like transients even if we are only going to be there for a year. Pictures and decor will adorn the walls. There! Will! Be! COLOR! I'm a creative person, I can do this. I have got to stop feeling paralyzed by the frequent moves and choose a style that will work in most spaces. It's going to be so cute...I can't wait!

But didn't I say the same thing about this house?

P.S. None of my decorating, by the way, will work once we move to Mystery Country #2. The Employer offers two furniture styles 1) the George-and-Martha-Washington-are-coming-for-dinner Colonial reproduction look and 2) the we-went-to-a-nice-furniture-store-and-bought-the-display-for-you look. The first is look is likely being phased out and the second look (what we had in MC#1) is very nice but accent-wise I have nothing to go with it. Oh well, we can jump off that bridge when we get to it.

2 comments:

twohotmamas said...

Ooh ooh find me on Pinterest.

The Gutsy Mom said...

You're so sweet! If it helps, I never worry about "the next house." And I have never (until this house) felt that my stuff goes with my house, or that my stuff really reflected what I like. Then, when we were in Germany, I vowed to stop "waiting" to buy the things I liked. I vowed to ONLY buy things I liked instead of buying things I felt worked in that particular home even if I didn't like them. Not sure if that helps, but it seems to be working out...