Monday, January 31, 2011

So Close...Yet So Far

I have a miserable cold. Absolutely miserable. I've tried all the over the counter stuff the doctors recommended. I'm drinking lots of fluids. I'm trying my best to get some sleep but that's not so easy when the combination of mouth breathing and drainage in my throat makes it feel like I drank hydrochloric acid. I'm lucky to sleep 4 hours in a 24-hour period including short naps during the day. Last night I began coughing which is good because that way I get a little relief from the super stuffy head. I know I sound like the biggest baby but I truly feel horrible.

Last night around midnight I thought I had a fever so I took my temp and it as a little high but not quite time for the fever reducer so I waited. I checked it again at 3 and it was the same and at 5 it was even a little higher (100.5-101) so I called and of course they wanted to see me. I was put on the monitor as soon as we got there and the baby's heart rate was really high. My heart rate was high also but my blood pressure was fine. My temperature had gone down but was still a little high. I am 4 cm dilated, 80% effaced, and the baby is in -1 position. The resident freaked out and freaked us out as well. We were told an induction was most certain. The attending told us the same thing. She recommended we tell my mom fly in today. I was overwhelmed but I felt so bad it was difficult to focus on what was happening. The concern was that the fever--and the baby's reaction--was due to a brewing uterine infection not the cold. The only way to know 100% is to do an amnio but we didn't want to do that. I remained on the monitor while we waited for my labs to return and slowly the baby's heart rate lowered to the normal range. Shockingly, my white count was 100% normal so TOIAW and I began to question the induction. They suggested I spend the night, get some fluids, feel better, and do the induction tomorrow. I said I wanted to talk to the attending MFM--who is my favorite--so we waited and waited while she did 2 c-sections. I tried to rest a little and relax. Finally she came in, did an ultrasound, and said she saw no reason to do an induction today and I could either spend the night there and go home tomorrow if everything was stable or go home if I was willing to keep my regular appointments tomorrow. I chose option 2.

Perhaps I should have stayed since I've been a little paranoid all day. The baby is moving a lot which is good but I keep wondering if her heart rate is high. I haven't had a fever (that I know of) but I'm still concerned. I'm glad I'm seeing my doctor in the morning. We're supposed to have 2 snow storms back-to-back beginning tomorrow mid-morning. Awesome.

My mom went ahead and kept her plans to come. I'm so grateful, I can't even express it. I worried she would miss too much work but Oklahoma is supposed to get a lot of snow so she probably won't miss much this week. If the baby doesn't arrive, she'll go home this weekend and then come back when we take the baby home. It's probably good for her as well because she won't have to sit alone at home for several days. I have plenty for her to do here!

And because I haven't complained enough in this post, I would also like to add that I burned my tongue yesterday and it is so freaking painful. I already have no appetite and it's certainly not helping matters. It really hurts. So does my throat. I've come so far and I just cannot believe I have to feel like this during these last few weeks. I'm trying to stay positive and keep my eye on the prize. Eye on the prize, eye on the prize...

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I am so glad that they didn't induce you while you are already feeling awful. I really hope that your cold improves soon. I'm guessing your doctors might not approve ... but mine totally ok'd a glass of red wine every night for the insomnia (and yes, that was the first question I asked ;-))

Soapchick said...

Hang in there Rach! You are almost there. I hope you get some relief from your cold soon so you can enjoy your new baby who is sure to make her debut soon!

MrsH said...

some tylenol might help with both the cold and the burned tongue, and I use it to keep my temp down when I have a cold, as baby doesn't like my temp up.

AKD said...

I got an abysmal cold the week before my C-section. It was awful - I so wanted to enjoy that last week with her inside of me, but I was just miserable. I hope that you get to feeling better.

AdventureMom said...

Hang in there! So glad you didn't have to be sick when your little one arrived. Hopefully she'll wait until you're feeling better! I'm getting so anxious for you, I can't even imagine how you and TOYAW are feeling. BTW, it's fair to be frustrated with A... there is nothing like a baby to open your eyes to the behavior of men, both good and bad, and for me it brought on a whole new level of frustration, love, and acceptance. We're cheering for you guys!