Monday, January 17, 2011

I'm not complaining, but...

Everyone keeps telling me to "enjoy sleep now." Is this a joke? I know it wasn't very long ago, but I cannot recall my last night of normal sleep. I wake-up EVERY. SINGLE. HOUR. to pee. At first I thought I was waking up because I wasn't comfortable in bed but I no longer believe that's the case. I can usually sleep for an hour and a half from about 5:30-7:00 or somewhere in there but in order for this to happen I must refrain from drinking water every time I wake-up to pee. I know this sounds silly but it's very dry in our house and every night is a thermostat experiment because we're trying to figure it out before we bring a baby home. And one more strange thing...my hands swell at night. My feet swell during the day and my hands (and face also) swell at night. It's really a great look. TOIAW helps by saying things like, "Your fingers don't look like little sausages as much as they did yesterday." He only gets to live because he does dishes and lifts heavy things for me.

We had a very active weekend! Saturday we went out to breakfast, bought new lamps (our last ones were great through four moves but the fifth one proved to be too much), returned something at the mall, and saw a movie! Then, when we got home to a cold and dark house, we decided to go to an outlet mall because TOIAW's brother left that day for a somewhat long business trip to an exotic Mideastern locale and we were too sad to sit at home thinking of him, his wife, and their young children. TOIAW bought a "refurbished" home theater system and some clothes but I just walked around thinking of how great I was going to sleep after all the activity of the day. HA!

Yesterday I did some closet/drawer organization (with a substantial bag for Goodwill), laundry, grocery shopping, and made dinner which took me much, much longer than it should have. I guess I'm still a little off my cooking game. I topped off the evening by falling asleep on the couch and deciding to sleep there as well because 1) I was too lazy to go upstairs, 2) it's much easier to get on and off of than our high bed, 3) it's directly under a fan and I'm tired of being hot at night, and 4) TOIAW cannot seem to get it through his head that there is a line down the middle of our headboard that clearly separates his side from my side and he is NOT supposed to breach that boundary.

So, more chores await me today. What does it mean if you don't really feel the urge to 'nest' because I don't. I'm doing things that need to be done but I'd rather be sleeping. I'm 34w4d...does nesting happen closer to birth? Does this mean I can take a day off or is my nester broken?

5 comments:

N said...

Hurrah for a busy weekend!

I got that ALL the time when I was pregnant and it pissed me off. And, sure enough, I slept a million times better after n came. I hope the same is true for you.

AKD said...

My doctor still had me on Ambien from Maddie, right up until the day of my C-section - and I STILL woke up to pee!

I am not sure I nested, but I did get all of her clothes washed, etc. It was hard, since our townhouse is three levels!

Rachel said...

I am definitely starting to think that our husbands will get along well. Mine loves to remark on the rather rotund nature of my figure at the moment. If I didn't need him around to help in the mornings ...

As for it being so dry, do you have a good humidifier? We have a super-fancy one (the brand is Liiot) which cost a small fortune but it can expel over a gallon of water in my 8 hour evening sleep and I think that it makes all the difference for being able to breath/not having chapped lips/etc.

The Gutsy Mom said...

People said that to me when I was pregnant, too, and it makes no sense on several levels. (1) I slept terribly when preggers, esp. at the end. (2) You cannot store up sleep to use later. (3) I slept much better after the baby came, because although I had to get up to nurse it was a little less frequent than the peeing and I was, overall, more comfortable.

Also, I did no nesting for either child. Unless you count my pre-PCS (to Germany) spazz out that involved alphabetizing all of our CDs and transferring them into binders (left the cases in storage and have since tossed them).

AdventureMom said...

I didn't nest either... I did what I needed to do to have a nice cozy safe place for baby, but definitely did not feel the urge go go all out or obsess. I agree with Gutsy Mom about the sleep thing... newborns sleep A LOT, and even though I used a lot of the nap times to get things done that were not new-baby compatible, I still got in at least one good nap a day. I'm SOOO happy for you Rachel! Welcome Home!