Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I'm Home!

It took about 12 hours to get released from the hospital. I was so looking forward to being out on a sunny day but it was well past dark when we finally did leave. But who cares?! I'm home! CVS barely managed to bat .500 on my prescriptions and this was after we waited an hour for them even though my nurse faxed them much earlier in the afternoon. But who cares?! I'm home! (But, seriously, you really think most people prefer drawing up their medications from a vial as opposed to pre-filled syringes? Really?)

To be honest, my first night at home was pretty awful. Our room was hot, I had to pee every hour, and despite being exhausted, I just couldn't fall asleep. I realize all this is probably normal pregnancy stuff but when you don't have a normal pregnancy, nothing feels normal. Also, who cares if it's normal, it's really not fun. I mean I'm pretty sure I fell asleep standing up in the shower but I couldn't fall asleep in bed? Thankfully, last night was much, much better.

Now my main issue is still my sugar levels and insulin dosage. My sugars have been pretty low despite the fact that I've been a lot more liberal with my diet. I don't eat very many simple carbs but I've been eating a lot more fruit and yogurt with fruit. Last night I was worried I would go too low at night so I halved my night dosage (after speaking with the doctor) and I still had my lowest ever fasting sugar this morning. I spoke with the doctor shortly afterwards and she attributed it to increased activity and now I'm barely taking 1-2 units before lunch and dinner. It's surprising that such a small amount of activity can make such a difference!

Speaking of activity, we went out for lunch yesterday and I sorted through all the baby clothes we have. It was somewhat difficult to go through Sarah's clothes because if brought back a lot of memories, of course. Tuesday is her second birthday. I have an appointment that day and I haven't decided if that's good or bad. It's not like anything I do that day is going to temper the heartache. It hurts...it still really, really hurts. But at least the hurt is a confirmation that it was all real: she was my daughter, she was alive, she was and is very, very loved.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

I am so, so glad to hear that you are home. Here's to hoping for many weeks of rest at home. Good luck with all the prep now that you can finally get your hands on all those boxes.

N said...

I am beyond thrilled that you're home!

Kari said...

Happy New Year, Rachel! I'll continue to keep you in my prayers that everything is well!

Marie W said...

Wishing Sarah a happy birthday and sending her floaty kisses. <3 Happy that you are home. There is nothing better than being in your own home.

Michele said...

keeping you and sweet Sarah close to my heart...

The Gutsy Mom said...

I'm just so happy you're home. And I think it is a good thing to have an appt on Sarah's birthday. She was, and is, so loved. Amen, amen.

AKD said...

I will keep you in my heart and prayers (as always) on Tuesday. I am just so very excited that you're home, and able to do a bit to prepare!!