Monday, December 20, 2010

Speed Blogging

I'm going to type as fast as I can because I'm blogging on borrowed time. Jack, from the IV team, could show up at any minute and who knows if I'll have use of both of my hands/arms after that. A normal person would but my veins are "difficult." First of all, I have an IV thanks to a UTI caused by an unusual bacteria and the doctors chose to be very aggressive. There are three medications available in pill form that work on this particular bacteria: one is safe during pregnancy but only has a 50% chance of working since I was on the wrong kind of antibiotics for 2 days until the culture was complete, the other is not safe during pregnancy, and the third is not safe in the third trimester. The end result is IV antibiotics that have really helped me feel better (even though I had no idea I had a UTI until they found it in a routine urine test) but the IV has been a huge hassle. The first one lasted 5 doses (every 12 hours) but started looking bad last night and the replacement was painful all night long. I was willing to push through the pain (pain that prevented me from sleeping last night) in order to avoid another stick but it started bleeding where the needle went in my skin and my nurse wasn't impressed. The aforementioned Jack comes highly recommended so we shall see. This is not a new issue for me because my veins are small and IV needles are not so the choices are limited. I would never make it as an IV drug user.

So things are moving right along. I kind of hit a wall last week but I think I'm over that. I was really feeling sorry for myself and just wanted to go home. In retrospect, I think I was starting to feel icky from the UTI and, well, 6 weeks in the hospital will get to most people after a while. Our little one is doing great though! She always gets a perfect score on her biophysical profile ultrasounds and we'll get another weight estimate Wednesday. She's done a fair bit of online shopping; I'm very excited to get home and see what all she has!

I had a very special treat yesterday in the form of a long visit from an old friend. She's like a sister to me and it was so awesome to see her while she and her husband are visiting our fair city for a few days. Thanks for coming, Krista!

I know I have more to say but I can't remember it all right now. I'm going to listen to soothing music while I wait for Jack...

6 comments:

N said...

Sorry for all the trouble it's caused, but am SO glad they found out about the UTI and you're being treated! Hoping that you get to keep use of your arms - being stuck in the hospital is no fun even when you CAN use them both!

Rachel said...

So glad to hear that your little girl is staying put and growing away and I am much impressed with your patience after such a long time in the hospital. Here's to hoping that getting the UTI fully treated makes you feel even better, and your little girl stays put through the holidays.

rebecca said...

So glad to hear you're doing okay and baby is still healthy! You are so right, 6wks in the hospital would drive all of us a bit crazy! Hope you get to feeling much better very soon, Merry Christmas!

AKD said...

I love that she's doing so great, Rachel! I am so sorry you've been feeling rough - PLEASE let me know if you need anyone to talk to, etc.!

May said...

Hello!!

I think I commented ages ago and meant to comeback, but my semester got a little out of hand AF work and my blogging had to take a little hiatus. Anyway, so glad to hear you're doing so well!!

I hit a bedresting wall after 6 weeks in the hospital, too. And then another one 4 weeks later. I think they're unavoidable. Remembering the guideline quoted to me by my neonatologist really helped: every additional day in utero saved us 3 days in the NICU. I just did the calculations in my head over and over again.

I eventually had the good IV guy, too. He had to use an ultrasound to find a vein in the back of my left upper arm. It was actually a comfortable place for it. I was on to midline catheters by that point. Ugh. It seems like a long time ago. I guess it was- that baby is in kindergarten now!!

Good luck!

May said...

Sorry about all the typos in the first paragraph- my iPod tries to autocorrect and it's horrible!