Sunday, November 7, 2010

Lock down!

I first planned on writing this post to ask for advice but, praise be to God, the issue seems to be resolved. It all began Saturday night when things got a little stuffy in my room and TOIAW and I decided to open the door. My neighbor across the hall saw us and came over to introduce herself. She's 32 weeks and pregnant with twins. She was feeling very overwhelmed last night and told us her life story which is actually quite sad. I won't go into details but she's in a bad relationship with a man who is much older than her and who has made it clear he does not want these babies (a fact he shares with her often). She also has a 9 year old daughter and a daughter who is 22 months.


Yesterday morning the boyfriend came, dropped off the younger daughter, and left for the day. As you might imagine, that's pretty much against the rules for patients on bed rest. I heard her running up and down the hall all morning. I know it was difficult on the mom and the nurses were getting frustrated as well. Eventually they came to my room and stayed and stayed...and stayed. The daughter wrote on everything with a dry erase marker (I'm serious, the table, the floor, the chairs but fortunately it's a hospital so they're all washable). She pulled latex gloves out of their boxes and had them all over the floor. My nurse came in and I could tell she was mortified. I feel bad for the mom and I know she needs/wants company and I can do that for short periods of time but I can't handle entertaining a toddler and offering free counseling for an hour at a time. I eventually texted TOIAW and told him to call me and if that didn't work, he was supposed to call the nurses and have them rescue me. They left while I was still on the phone and a little while later my nurse came in and asked if I wanted company. I told her the truth: I don't mind in small doses but I have so much going on myself and I'm not in a place to bear burdens for strangers. I know that sounds harsh but fortunately my nurse didn't think so. She was kind enough to brief the night nurse and they both said it would be handled further today with the nurse manager.

This morning my nurse didn't say anything and I didn't either. My nurse was in my room and/or in the hall all three times this morning when my neighbor stopped by (to ask for my iPad which I reluctantly let her borrow the third time she asked because she was very persistent and I did not want an awkward situation to become even more so). A little while later my nurse came in and asked about everything so I told her what had happened and she said they were instituting a new "rule" that there can be no borrowing of property and no visitation unless a patient's door is open. What a relief! I had been praying about how to handle the situation and it was totally resolved without me having to say anything to anyone! My heart really hurts for her and her situation and I told God if this is what I'm supposed to do here, I will but I truly believe He confirmed that this is not a season in which I'm meant to minister in that kind of way.

So, for now, the antepartum wing is on lock down! Hopefully this will conclude this episode of General Hospital and we can all get back to our regularly scheduled bed rest.

3 comments:

Soapchick said...

Oh boy that's the last thing you need. I do feel bad for that woman, but she needs to resolve her own life issues someday. Hopefully she'll see the light and get away from that guy someday. I'm glad it all worked out and you can go back to incubating that baby!

Tracy said...

Oh jeez...I feel badly for her, too, but you are right. This is not your burden to bear right now.

AKD said...

Oh, Rachel - drama is the last thing you need. I am glad that the nurses handled this, but I'm so sorry that you had to deal with this in the first place.

When I was still in the hospital after Alice was born, we had some friends visit with their 3-year-old son... who they let run crazy all over, would hit his mom while she was holding Alice, etc. I freaked out and pretended my C-section was hurting me and that they needed to leave. I couldn't deal with it, and with him possibly hurting my newborn. I was in protective mode, as you are (rightfully so) right now. Don't apologize for that at all. You are a wonderful person for being so kind to this woman who is in a horrible situation, but right now is taking care of this little one.