Thursday, November 11, 2010

But, Wait! There's More!

Yesterday I was super excited to have an ultrasound and find out how much Baby Girl weighs these days. I was warned they just work people in as they have time and I might wait all day so I was really excited when a nurse came shortly after 8 a.m. I was in such a good mood that I didn't even let it bother me when I realized the only doctor I don't really like would be the one doing the scan.

First she looked at my cervix and although she had a lot of difficulty finding the cerclage stitch, she did see it eventually and said she was "pretty sure" I wasn't funneling beyond the stitch. So far, so good. Then she moved on to the baby and began taking measurements. There was a tv monitor I could see but the resolution wasn't very clear so I couldn't clearly see the numbers/dates when she would take a measurement but after the third time I saw 22wXd, I asked her what was going on. She was polite but dismissed me with a, "Just let me finish, and we'll take a look." I remembered why we didn't hit it off last time we met. I was trying so hard not to cry and finally she finished and told me the baby is in the 21st percentile as compared to the last time when she was in the 37th percentile. Also, my amniotic fluid levels are low. She actually said they were in the low-normal range but that's not what the report said. Because she's a fellow, she left the room to consult with the attending and I began to bawl. It was great fun. After what seemed like an eternity, she returned and said she will do a repeat ultrasound on Friday and that a nurse would be there in a few minutes to take me back to my room. Thankfully, it was my nurse and she was armed with tissues and encouraging words. I love the nurses on this floor!

I was pretty upset but I managed to call TOIAW and tell him what happened. He helped me calm down and we agreed not to panic and just wait to speak with my OB who promised to stop by when she had a break (she was working in L&D all day yesterday). That break didn't happen until 9 p.m. but she called several times to tell the nurses to let me know she hadn't forgotten about me. It probably actually for the best because I was much more relaxed by the time I we saw her.

She explained that this is actually more concerning to her than my cervix and she intends to follow me very closely. The indications are that there is a problem with the placenta. TOIAW asked if there was a chance this could turn out the be nothing but she said that the combination the low growth/weight and low fluid levels lead her to believe, "something is brewing." She ordered twice-daily one-hour non-stress tests (basically a really long Doppler that monitors the baby's heartbeat to see if she's active and doesn't have obvious signs of distress) and ultrasounds 3 days a week. If at any time it appears that the baby is in distress, I will have a c-section. For now, it's all about observing the baby and taking cues from her. We are overwhelmingly thankful for every day she stays in my tummy!

We're celebrating 25 weeks today and praying to see more fluid tomorrow!

9 comments:

Kari said...

Rachel, you are in my thoughts and I'm praying that all is well. Take care of yourself!

Rachel said...

Just writing to say that you are in my thoughts and hoping your little girl keeps on growing. Ultrasounds can be terribly inaccurate, and maybe this doctor just wasn't being very precise with her measurements.

Mom of Three said...

Praying that your baby continues to grow. Rest, and focus on the positive!

Soapchick said...

Rachel - I am praying so hard for your baby and for you. Hang in there and think happy thoughts about her staying in there for much longer.

AKD said...

I am continuing to hold you all in my prayers and thoughts. I can only imagine how frightening this all is - I pray that your little girl thrives, and that your fluid just multiplies. Love to you!

Searching said...

Praying, praying, praying for you and baby girl! Think flowing thoughts of blood circulating through you, through the placenta, and into her umbilical cord to bring nourishment to her growing body. Hang in there!

Tracy said...

Oh, Rachel...you will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

Pam said...

Hi there,
You don't know me (I was a fellow Auerbachian, but moved in shortly after you left), but I found your blog through Vicki, Marg, and Jess. I've been following for awhile and I just wanted to let you know that you've been in my thoughts and prayers during this pregnancy. I hope the rest of your bedrest goes well, your placenta starts working it's butt off, and you spend a VERY long time patiently waiting for this baby girl to cook a little more. Best wishes!

Becky said...

Hi - Was in a similar situation a few months ago so I feel your stress but wanted to let you know I will be thinking of you. 25 weeks is great, I remember making it to that milestone and things got a little easier from there so hopefully they will for you. Stay positive and just focus on the end prize.