Friday, October 1, 2010

Not Well At All

Just a little background before I copy and paste an email update I sent my friends...things haven't been great but they haven't been horrible either. At my appointment last Friday I was once again open to the stitch but my doctor didn't seem too concerned because he had seen it like that before. My cervix measured 1.89 cm. On Sunday and Monday I had some cramping and when it didn't go away I called and was sent to L&D triage. The same doctor I had seen the week before did an ultrasound and speculum exam and he said everything looked the same (not open beyond the stitch, no pressure on the stitch) as it had so he didn't think there was cause for concern regarding the cramping and he measured my cervix at 2.2 cm. The following is what happened today...and my emotional ramblings to along with it:


Just kidding, Blogger won't let me copy and paste or I'm doing something wrong and I don't feel like messing with it so the short version is at my appointment today I am opening beyond the stitch and am likely 1 cm dilated. This has been a quick progression and things don't look good. Also, I'm beginning to have increased discharge which is likely a sign of labor. I'm 19w1d today and nothing can be done now in terms of medication or other interventions. I called my previous MFM in Oklahoma and he said he would follow the same course in terms of home bed rest and progesterone shots and he also said the situation is not without hope.

My MFM here was very sweet today which helped a little, I guess. I know he and his staff care a great deal and I do still feel like we're all doing everything we can at this juncture. We're just praying for a lot more time or God's grace and mercy...or both.

16 comments:

MFA Mama said...

Oh no...I'm so sorry this is happening and hope that you're able to gain much-needed weeks (MONTHS). They won't medicate you against contractions at all? I know many MDs won't until twenty weeks but I threw a wall-eyed fit and got mine to give me oral meds for preterm labor at eighteen weeks one time...

Soapchick said...

Oh Rachel, I am so sorry. I hope that your body just stops what it is doing and let's your baby keep growing. You and your hubby are in my thoughts and prayers. I am praying hard for God to hear your desires and hopes.

Rachel said...

I am so, so sorry. We will be praying with you and hoping that your body can hold on for the next few days and weeks. I hope that your family has gathered to support you through this incredible stress.

AKD said...

You have been in my prayers each day, and will continue to be. I can only imagine your fear and worry, and want you to know that I am here if you need anything at all.

Nick and Kristi said...

Oh man....Im surprised they wont admit you to the unit and give you meds....When my cervix started acting up my Dr. said worse case be admitted to the hospital and start magnisium and some sort of blood pressure medication/hrt medication....Im guessing to stop contractions then some sort of position in bed.....Im so sorry you are going through this very helpless feeling....Just know you are doing all you can and say lots and lots of prayers:)

HereWeGoAJen said...

I'm thinking about you and praying for more time.

Marie W said...

Praying hard for you! I am so sorry you are going through this right now.

Happy Homemaker said...

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear this! Praying, praying! Please keep us posted!

MrsH said...

How scary! I hope things will stay as they are. Praying for you.

Searching said...

Praying desperately for you.

cowgirltn said...

Rachel you will be in my prayers. I am so sorry your body is hurting. Please please lord keep her little one safe.

MrsH said...

Thinking of you and your story every day. You are living now my fear of a failed cerclage, which is one of my greatest fears. Please update when you can. Good thoughts your way!

rebecca said...

Oh Rachel, I just cried reading this post. I am so sorry you're in such a precarious situation again. Sending prayers & thoughts your way...hoping that things settle down and you are able to get more time with this baby.

areyoukiddingme said...

Hoping that you can get a lot more time...much luck. I'll be praying for you.

Emily Erin said...

New reader from Lost and Found-- sending up prayers for you and your baby.

Devon said...

usually at 20 weeks they will admit you to l&d for meds....can you beg for that??? what about putting you in the head below feet position (can't think of the name)?

praying for many more weeks!