Friday, June 18, 2010

No News

I had my appointment today but it was rather uneventful. They did an ultrasound but didn't see anything which is completely normal for 4w2d (although they calculate it at 4w1d). The ultrasound tech did see an area where she thought she might have seen some changes but didn't spend too much time on it. Otherwise, my uterus "looks good." I'm so proud!

He did order some blood work but the don't have their own lab so I probably won't have the results until Monday. That's not ideal but I'm okay with it. Even if I weren't I don't think it would change anything! Also, he called an RE and I have an appointment with them on Tuesday which will be for a repeat beta and an in-take appointment but not an ultrasound. I assume we'll wait until the next week for that? Do most RE's do ultrasounds before it's possible to see a heartbeat? If not, I might not have one for 3 weeks.

Anyway, I really liked the doctor. He spoke to me about my history and said he will most likely do a cerclage at 12 weeks which will be right before I go to Boston so that might need to be postponed a bit...or not, I have no idea.

I'm feeling less nauseous today. That would make most people happy but it makes me worry a little. Fortunately, I'm so tired that I don't care that much.

3 comments:

N said...

Fingers crossed on the bloodwork.

My RE sometimes does scans prior to h/b, but not MUCH prior (5ish weeks) but usually waits until that 6 week cusp where you might see it or not. I think it really depends on the doctor. I'm glad you like this guy, though. :)

AKD said...

My RE only does scans at 6w3d and higher, just because it is so hard to see anything before that. I saw the heartbeat at that point with both Maddie and this baby, but that's not always the case - so don't panic if they have trouble seeing something.

Please let me know if you have any questions or want to discuss the cerclage. Will they do McDonald or Shirodkar? 12 weeks is very good for a cerclage - mine was at 13w1d, I think the average is around 14 weeks, so 12w gets it in there nice and early.

I can't wait to hear all of your blood test results. :) I'm so happy for you, Rachel!

Rachel said...

Monday? You have such incredible patience.

As for early ultrasounds, my experience (granted, in Europe) was that they were happy to do one before the heartbeat if you explain that you are really interested in how many yolks sacs there might be. My current clinic won't do one given that the protocol I'm on doesn't have a super-high chance of multiples, but given your cycle it may be worth explaining that you'd like more information earlier (they would do things like adjust your prenatals from generic to prescription if they suspected multiples even at 4.5 weeks)