Sunday, April 18, 2010

Cryin' For Me

Tonight I watched the Academy of Country Music awards. Hey, I'm in Oklahoma, it's the law. My favorite part wasn't watching Reba McEntire do an awesome job hosting the show (she's an Oklahoman, in case you didn't know...in fact, her daddy used to rodeo with my grandpa) nor was it when Carrie Underwood (I'll give you 3 chances to guess her home state and the first 2 don't count) won Entertainer of the Year. No, my favorite part was Toby Keith's (yet another Oklahoman...) performance of his single Cryin' For Me. I love, love, love it.

He wrote it about the death of his friend Wayman Tisdale. There aren't many Sooners I will praise but Wayman Tisdale is one of them (and maybe Sam Bradford because his humbleness is genuine and oh-so-refreshing). He was a stand-up guy who loved God, lived with integrity, and faced cancer with grace.

My favorite line is "I'm not cryin' 'cause I feel so sorry for ya, I'm cryin' for me." I love it...

And you know what else I love? Oklahoma and Oklahomans. TOIAW finds my state pride endearing but he doesn't understand it. What can I say...it's a place that inspires that kind of love and loyalty. You should visit if you haven't already. You know, the wheat sure smells sweet when the wind comes right behind the rain.

2 comments:

AKD said...

I am so glad that you get to be home and enjoying yourself! As a Midwesterner, I know how nice people are in the Bible belt - there's just something so wonderful about that!

Peaches said...

I'm glad to hear your dad is doing well after his surgery. I loved the AMC's last night and I had no idea the background on Toby's song but it is a beautiful song. I hope you are enjoying your trip home.