Monday, March 8, 2010

Physical Abstinence

Remember yesterday when I proudly boasted I was going to go against my doctor's order of 'physical abstinence' and walk on the treadmill? Well, soon after I clicked PUBLISH POST, I began feeling icky so I took some Ibuprofen (the hard stuff: 800mg, a.k.a. Ranger Candy, if you know what I'm talking about) and went back to bed. I woke-up drenched in sweat and denial because I was sure I didn't have a fever (and at the point I probably didn't). I took it easy the rest of the day and felt okay until evening when the shivering set in once again and, suddenly, the same thing I had dealt with in the daylight hours became scary and frightening prospect to face while it was dark outside.

TOIAW and I had been texting throughout the day and when I told him I thought I had a fever he demanded I take my temperature. I really didn't want to know the number so I ignored him for awhile but when he called, I relented. In order to keep myself calm I decided I wouldn't panic unless it was over 102.5; I have no idea how I came up with this arbitrary freak out threshold. Thankfully, however, those extra 4 tenths saved me because I was at 102.1. I was happy taking some more Ibuprofen but TOIAW demanded I call the staff clinic. Now, these people are nice but I'm pretty sure they think I'm nutso and I was hoping to not remind them of this again but he insisted so I called. She's amazingly kind so she was very sweet and told me not to worry--which I was done with at this point because TOIAW was paranoid enough for both of us--and several other things I already knew.

I eventually made it to bed and woke-up refreshed but still a little weak. I need to get some fresh fruits and vegetables but today was a Mystery Country holiday and everything was closed but that was probably for the best anyway. Tomorrow I'm going to be up and out the door bright and early!

P.S. Rachel, your comment about me being brave to face treatment here made me laugh because last night when I started feeling bad again I sent TOIAW a text stating how stupid I felt thinking I was somehow strong enough to face this alone.

1 comment:

AKD said...

Oh, Rachel, you poor thing. Are you feeling better? I hope you're staying well-hydrated - I'm sure it's hard when you're alone and it's hard to go get something to drink. Promise to keep an eye on your temp and make sure it doesn't go up. I'm keeping you in my prayers.