Thursday, February 18, 2010

Next Stop on the World Tour

One thing I'm guilty of is spening a lot of time wondering where we're going to move next. I investigate neighborhoods, housing, local activities, and the availability of Mexican food. At this point we still have several options but those will be narrowed down once TOIAW begins receiving graduate school acceptance information. He has his top choice and I have mine and there is zero overlap. His top choices are NYC, Boston, and Connecticut while mine are Seattle, Washington D.C., and Oklahoma. The third choice will never happen so I'm hoping for one of the Washingtons although if we move to one of them, it would mean that TOIAW either didn't get into one of his top choices or the government doesn't want to pay for him to go there. So, in the interest of being a good wife, I'm mostly hoping he gets what he wants because this is very important to him...but I REALLY want to move to Seattle!!!

The Great Northwest is without a doubt the best place I've ever lived and I have lived in some amazing places if I do say so myself. I adore the lifestyle, the weather, the scenery--everything! It's my kind of place and I spend a lot of time (seriously, it borders on unhealthy) dreaming of living there again...which is why it probably won't happen.

D.C. would also be nice again. I would love to live in the same neighborhood we lived in before (only in a less miniature house). I like moving back to places I've lived before, can you tell? I have yet to actually do this so I guess I should say I like the idea of moving back to places I have lived before. The advantage to D.C. is that if we move there, we will live there for 2+ years. This proabably means nothing to most of you but I have not lived in the same dwelling for 2 years since my early 20's. It makes me giddy to think about it. Seriously. Giddy.

If TOIAW is accepted into his first choice, however, I will spend 18 months living mere blocks--walking distance--away from my in-laws. What a cruel twist that would be. But for a variety of reasons that is about as likely as my Seattle dream so I won't waste my time worrying about it. Rather, I will waste my time scouring Craig's list for the perfect rental in Seattle. On a cold snowy day in the MC, I really need this dream.

2 comments:

AKD said...

I've only been to Seattle once, but it was absolutely beautiful! I have this amazing picture of my husband and I on this scenic overlook there - you can see everything!

I hope you get a place that you love! :)

Rachel said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I also share your frustration when you initially take something seriously, only to discover that the other party is just interested in repeating trite and dumb observations intended to make you mad.

BUT, I am SO excited to hear that you might be moving to the lovely snowy East Coast near us. My vote is for NYC!