Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Lovely Evening

Our dinner party last night was lovely. The food was good and the company was even better. One of the families we invited has four of the most charming and well-behaved children I have ever met. It is a joy to spend time with them! Also, I like it when their 3 year-old tells me I'm beautiful and I make "the best tuptakes" he's ever had. Flattery goes a long way with me.

It was a challenge to cook for 10+ people with a miniature oven but I managed. I cooked a brisket all night Friday night, sliced it the next morning, and only had to warm it up while I served the appetizers. I made the "tuptakes" the night before and served them with fresh fruit and brownies (which were for the kids and I sent the leftovers home with them because brownies are my weakness!). I wanted to make chocolate covered strawberries but I couldn't find chocolate chips or big strawberries. It was just as well and everyone seemed to enjoy what we did have. For dinner I almost always serve a plate of fruit for TOIAW and me. It encourages us to eat more fruit and it's a great way to end a meal.

We're just taking it easy today. TOIAW asked our housekeeper to come and do dishes and clean-up so she is here now doing that. It was very kind of him but completely not necessary. I had to beg him to let me clear the dining room table last night and at least put the dishes in an organized stack! Don't tell him but when he was in his office this morning, I snuck in and washed a few things. I have a big week ahead of me so I do appreciate it but, then again, cleaning would be a nice distraction!

Tomorrow afternoon I have an appointment where I should find out when the egg retrieval will be. It's almost surreal to think it will be this week. It's very strange doing a cycle without the daily injections and appointments to check follicles. I'm completely over the fact that we're using donor eggs--who knew?

I'm going to do some book "shopping" now so I can have some good reading material for after the transfer. Maybe this week I will write a review of the Kindle. For now I'll just say we both love it which is a bit of a problem since it was meant to be a gift from me to TOIAW.

I'm also going to do my best to resist the siren song of the tuptakes...

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Isn't cooking in a foreign country odd? It is always some really basic item (like chocolate chips) that you can't find anywhere.

Will you post your brisket recipe? I'm always looking for a good one.

AKD said...

The 3-year-old sounds unbearably cute - I love those little speech quirks that small kids have. I'm so glad that everything went so well - hopefully it all went as planned!

I'm so glad that everything is going so well with the donor cycle - I'm hoping that you get a firm answer! It's so nice not to have to orchestrate all of those shots and appointments - FET was a lot easier for us than a fresh cycle.

The Gutsy Mom said...

What a wonderful evening and happy post! I'll be eager to hear what you decide to read next week. I love that we are coming up on this exciting time for you!

BrettGBoland said...

初次造訪,安安^^.........................