Thursday, January 21, 2010

House of Mercy

One year ago today I was in a small chapel in the bowels of the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland with TOIAW, my parents, a rabbi whose kind eyes I still remember, and a gentle Navy chaplain who was also with us the morning Sarah died. It was a simple and sweet service. I honestly don't think about that day much; I even forgot that today was the "anniversary" because it's not all that significant to me. Grief is so odd.

So today I was cruising around on the internet and I ran across the meaning of the name Bethesda: House of Mercy. I actually know enough Hebrew that this shouldn't be a new reveleation to me but it was. I love it, love it, love it, LOVE it! I don't believe things happen because of chance. Sarah was born--and spent her life on Earth--in a house of mercy. (I wrote about some of my thoughts on mercy in this post.)

How fitting because that is also where she is spending eternity. Oh, the comfort that brings to an aching heart!

3 comments:

AKD said...

What a beautiful meaning, and shows that life is more than just coincidence. Sarah deserves mercy and love, and is receiving it always.

HUGS.

Michele said...

How lovely.

The Gutsy Mom said...

These sorts of things are always a big deal to me. God is so provident. My brother and his family live in Bethesda, and the Gutsy Dad grew up there; I love knowing the meaning now, too. Thank you, Rachel.