Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Everyone's Doing It

I'm getting ready to order TOIAW's gift: A Kindle. This has been an ongoing debate in our house for nearly a year. In D.C. we only listened to NPR and NPR liked to discuss the Kindle. TOIAW could not be dissuaded even when I told him it was heavily endorsed by Oprah. Well, at one point he thought Kindle books expired but that appears to be Kindle urban legend.

TOIAW and I both love books. Even when our schedules are at their craziest, we read a minimum of one book a week and usually more. I like Paperback Book Swap but there are often other books I want to read and we spend a fair amount on books and although I recycle them via donation or swapping, I also worry about the eco cost (paper, transport, ink, etc.) not to mention the actual cost of the books. Kindle books are $9-$10 for brand-new books; we could save a fortune!

Now I'm just trying to decide which one to buy and if I'm going to do the Kindle vs. one of the other products out there. My hope is that it will be helpful for TOIAW next year while he's in school in addition to the other advanatages.

I just hope we don't miss holding an actual book. It might sound silly but that's a big deal to me. I'll let you know how it goes!

4 comments:

Michele said...

I spend WAY too much on books and my husband recommended the kindle... I was a librarian and I just cant do it. I know it sounds nuts but I NEED that physical book. He thinks I'm nuts.

Allison (Ali) said...

Can I be your husband for Christmas? I want a Kindle too. :-)

I have 4 bookshelves stuffed with books (and I just donated over 200) My hubby says I cant buy anymre because i have too many.

The Gutsy Mom said...

I worry about the same thing -- missing holding an actual book. But then I wonder if that is reason enough to avoid the Kindle or not. Can't wait to hear how it works out for you. Safe travels!

AKD said...

I know exactly what you mean about missing the book - there's something tangible about turning the pages! I hope that you really enjoy it - I've got a couple of friends who love theirs!