Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Calm Before the Storm

I have done absolutely nothing the past two days. I haven't felt well--just a cold, no big deal--and it's positively frigid outside so I've just been hanging out. I leave for the U.S. early Thursday morning and I cannot wait! I get to see my dogs; oh, how I've missed them!!! We'll of course be very busy while visiting my family for a week and then we'll be off to Florida for the cruise.

This, of course, presents a packing dilemma because I need both cold and warm weather clothing but I do not feel like schlepping multiple suitcases. Out of the eight flights I will take only one will be with TOIAW. When I flew here in October, I had so many bags I felt like a gypsy and since that memory is still fresh in my mind it's likely I will only take my computer and a purse as my carry-ons. Of course, it's far easier to pack for a trip to the U.S. because if you forget to pack something, it's easily accessible. I've ordered a few new things that will be waiting for me in Oklahoma so I know I'll have clothes to wear there but I should probably apologize in advance to my fellow cruisers because they are likely to see me in the same clothes on several occasions. I'm okay with that so I hope they are as well.

Tonight I'm going to continue to enjoy the peace and quiet before I have to pack and get ready for my 18.5 hours of travel time on Thursday. Have I ever shared with you that I've become a super nervous flier ever since I quit my job as a flight attendant? 'Tis true. It's not that I experienced anything scary as an F/A, it's just that you have a sense of control when you're working on a plane as opposed to when you're a passenger. Okay, flight attendants aren't really in control of anything but if they have a question about something that's happening all they have to do is pick-up the phone and ask the pilots. They really frown upon individual passengers doing that. But, believe me, I make sure my area is safe and if you're sitting next to me and your luggage isn't completey under the seat in front of you, I will say something. On a flight last year I was in the emergency exit row and the man next to me had is laptop in the seat back pocket (major no-no) so the F/A asked him to stow it under the seat but he put it behind his legs (with a heavy sigh). I then put on my best sweet smile and said, "She said 'under the seat,' not 'behind your feet.'" Later during the flight the lead F/A discreetly asked me if I worked for the FAA and I said no with a puzzled look. She said one of the F/A's overheard my explanation for properly stowing luggage and assumed I was onboard to evaluate the crew. I was happy to eleviate her anxiety (because who likes to be anonymously evaluated?) and explain that I'm just a former F/A and a forever safety nut. I totally didn't mean to go off on that tangent and I promise to stop after I remind you to properly stow your luggage this holiday season--remember the overhead bins are shared space--and the crew is there primarily for your safety...and also to satisfy their own sadistic need to make everyone to follow the rules. Or maybe that was just me?

2 comments:

AKD said...

I hope that you are warm, warm, warm on your trip! We're a couple of states north of Oklahoma, and it was 5 degrees F when I drove home! I hope that you have an amazing trip - I know that I'm sending you warm "welcome home" vibes! :)

I think it's awesome that you're so vigilant on planes! People are really not good listeners - just because you've traveled often doesn't mean that you travel well. Hoping for a safe, fast flight for you!

JJ and Michelle Cartmill said...

You crack me up! I've missed you and can't wait to have you home! Call soon!