Monday, November 9, 2009

Locked Up

So I'm back in the MC now, TOIAW is traveling, most things are closed/canceled due to an H1N1 scare, our internet connection is not at all reliable or consistent, and I haven't slept more than 2 hours a night in the past 2 nights because I have a hard time sleeping when I'm alone SO--second time I used that word in this "sentence"--I locked myself in our bedroom which also serves as our safe room as it has two deadbolts and a peep hole. Perhaps this way I won't be awakened by every sound? Perhaps? Please say you think it will work...

I'm not scared to go out and I feel very safe and comfortable in our apartment and in the city, I just can't sleep when I'm alone. I hate it! I know I would feel better if the dogs were here but still that wouldn't help very much. It would, however, give me something to do which would be nice. Well, now tomorrow I am going to check the mail and the housekeeper (seriously, I cannot keep referring to her as the House Manager) is coming in the afternoon so that pretty much qualifies as a big day if you compare it to yesterday and today. Oh, and I'm having a hysteroscopy on Saturday so don't think I'm just sitting around reading books and watching DVDs on my computer because TOIAW blew out our stereo/DVD player by forgetting to plug it into a transformer. No way, not me...I am living it up and don't you forget it.

Okay, so tomorrow--if I have an internet connection--I'm going to tell you what happened on that really bad day I wrote about in my previous post. It's actually not that sad and it has a happy ending. Oops, I hope that doesn't ruin the suspense for you...

I have one more thing to say, though. Since our satellite works about as well as our internet, I can only watch news channels albeit from several different regions and countries. I watched a riveting piece entitled "I Knew Khomeni" (or something close to that) today in which his granddaughter talked about how fun he was when he was with his grandchildren. Uh, right, dude looked like he could let loose and play and mean game of Skip-Bo. Anyway, I've heard quite a bit about this story. There are so many things I could say about this but I'll be nice and offer them this advice: You might want to rethink the ol' "we were on vacation in Iraq and accidentally crossed the border into your country, Iran, and we're sorry" because do you have any idea how stupid that sounds? Not that I believe they were spying--mostly because they went to Berkley so it just doesn't make sense that they would work for the goverment--but this is a ridiculous defense. Also? I'm more than a little tired of hearing their families talk about how they're "all alone." What do they think the State department is? A concierge rescue service for stupid people who get way too close to the borders of countries who display hostility towards the US and our allies? Anway, I wish them no harm and do hope they are released soon...and I also hope they have to reimburse the government for what I am sure is a considerable amount of time spent on their situation.

1 comment:

AKD said...

I'm so glad to hear from you! I've been thinking about you! Oh, gosh, I know exactly what you mean - when my husband travels overnight for work, I check each of the empty rooms (his bathroom, spare bedrooms) to make sure nobody is hiding in there. Not that I'd know what to do if there was someone, but it's what I do. I definitely think this will work for you. :)

I'll be thinking of you during the hysteroscopy - hopefully you have someone to take care of you, maybe TO(Y)AW will be home? Let us know how it goes, etc...

The Skip-Bo killed me - but, wow, the hikers were either incredibly stupid or incredibly bad liars...