Monday, November 16, 2009

Gruss Gott

Just a short update from Vienna...yes, we're still here. Everything was looking good yesterday; so good in fact that I was discharged and we walked around the city a bit enjoying the sunshine (a very special treat for us!) and Starbucks (oh, how I have missed you, Grande Chai Tea Latte). This morning we had to come in for a quick check to get my labs from yesterday and we would be on our way. I had a good feeling about it since they didn't call us and tell us there was anything alarming in the results. Ummmm, that's because they didn't have them. She called while we were in her office and I heard the incredulousness in her voice when she repeated my hCG number to the person on the other end of the line. My German isn't good but I know my numbers: 58. Which is up from 39 the day before which was up from 36 the day before that and down from 60 the day before that. Ugh. It's kind of a long story but I had asked why the number would go from 60 to 36 in less than 24 hours and stable--or perhaps even up--in 36 hours but the doctor just dismissed it as being different labs but I was never too sure.

I had suspected an ectopic pregnancy from the time my period was late but people kind of look at you funny if you say you think you're experiencing an ectopic pregnancy when you don't even have a positive pregnancy test. Even when numerous doctors (both here and in the MC) told me my numbers were too low for an ectopic, I knew. Of course, I hoped I was wrong but deep down I knew I wasn't. Walking into the hospital today I just knew. Listen to your bodies, Ladies! Listen and take charge of your own healthcare. Don't depend on anyone else to advocate for you; you must be your own advocate because no one knows you like you know you. Enough of my PSA...

My surgery is scheduled for 6 pm Central European time and hopefully I will be able to get up and around tomorrow. Not sure when I will blog again but I'm almost finished with the book I brought so it will probably be sooner rather than later.

P.S. After being in a private hospital, I may be ruined to ever be anywhere else.

12 comments:

Rachel said...

I am so sorry that you are dealing with an ectopic but thank goodness you're in a good hospital that you trust. I really hope the surgery goes smoothly and you're feeling better in the morning.

N said...

Oh, man. I'm so sorry that this is how it's going. But I'm so glad that you're getting good care. *hugs* I hope everything goes well.

Soapchick said...

I hope your surgery goes/went well. You know your body so well and I'm sorry you are dealing with this, but glad TOIAW is there with you.

AKD said...

Oh, Rachel, I am just so sorry. I wish this could be easy for you, that it was just the path of least resistance. I too am glad that TO(Y)AW is there with you - please rest up and take care of yourself, emotionally and physically. Hugs and prayers.

The Gutsy Mom said...

I am sorry you are going through this, Rachel. I'll be praying that the surgery goes smoothly and that you can be up and at 'em in good time.

HereWeGoAJen said...

I'm so sorry. I hope you have a quick recovery. I'll be thinking of you!

Aisha said...

I'm so so sorry for what you're going through. Please take care of yourself.

Kristi said...

So sorry.

JuliaS said...

I am truly sorry. Wishing you a good recovery. I've had an ectopic - I know how difficult they can be. Sending wishes for better things to come.

here from LFCA

Jennifer said...

I am so sorry to hear this news. Glad to hear you are in a good hospital.

here from LFCA

Parenthood For Me said...

I agree with you on listening to your intuition about your own body. I am sorry you are going through this. wishing you well.

Michele said...

Oh dear... Sending you hugs and prayers.