Friday, November 13, 2009

...And Away We Go

Today was another long day. I went into the clinic for blood work. The people here are terrible at finding my veins. To be fair, I've had problems with this my entire life but it's worse here than anywhere else (in D.C. this summer they were the best ever; in and out in less than two minutes and usually far less). Combined with the fact I'm not eating or drinking much, it's a disaster. After the blood draw I went to the clinic's cafe for a snack because I was starving. I ate but as I sat there waiting for TOIAW to finish, I began feeling worse and worse. I needed some air so I walked to the front and sat down while he ordered a cab. About two minutes later I told him to cancel the cab and get me a wheelchair. Fortunately they didn't seem to have any available because when I stood up to get to the stretcher they brought, I went down for the count. This, of course, resulted in me being admitted until they had the results of my labs. By the grace of God, I had a private room (I didn't the day before but that's a story for another day).

I had a repeat ultrasound that showed no change so I was left to sleep...and then my phone rang. I don't understand all the details, but there is a company who is contracted by my insurance to monitor the health situations of those people who are in locations they deem to be lacking in a Western standard of care. Apparently they decided yesterday that I should leave and go to Vienna and seek care there. We were supposed to leave at 8 this morning only no one told us. They were a bit frantic when they reached us. I was very confused. They continued to insist we leave ASAP but I was hesitant. Even when we found out my hormone levels are decreasing making an ectopic pregnancy unlikely, they still persisted. Eventually we decided that if something were to happen and I required emergency evacuation, the fact that I refused the treatment they recommended would not look so good for me...and we don't have an extra $75k to pay for an air ambulance. So tomorrow we're off to Austria. It sounds terribly exciting to be jetting to Vienna for the weekdend...unless you know the whole story. Honestly, I do still have some odd abdominal pain and it will be nice to get a second opinion. The thing is 1) there is nothing that indicates I should be having this pain and 2) yesterday the radiologist confirmed he saw something in my right tube, he just doesn't know what it is. Of course, there is no way to know what it is without surgery and right now my labs and physical symptoms don't warrant that. So we'll see; it won't hurt to get someone else's opinion.

Sorry to write yet another sleep-deprived post. I'm so exhausted. Thanks again for your prayers, comments, emails, and words of encouragement. I'm really doing okay emotionally. I haven't yet thought of the miscarriage in terms of life and loss although right now, as I look at Sarah's urn and the sweet angel figurine that sits beside her, I know those feelings will come eventually.

6 comments:

N said...

Yikes. Scary, all the panic over the situation. I hope that everything's okay, and emotional crap aside, you guys can relax a little in Vienna.

Rachel said...

This sounds absolutely awful. I can't believe that they are going to make you face travel when you can't even get yourself back into the very hospital you were leaving.

We will be thinking of you all weekend. If there is anything another person in Europe could do, please let me know.

The Gutsy Mom said...

Still praying. Thank you for keeping us updated, even in the midst of all this craziness.

AKD said...

Oh, Rachel. How incredibly trying. I've also got awful veins, but I've never crashed like that. I'm so sorry that you've had to go through all of this, and that it is going to continue internationally. I'm glad to hear the levels are dropping - hopefully things continue along the path that is going to make this easiest on you. Will this postpone the hysteroscopy?

I'm continuing to pray for you, and sending you hugs.

Soapchick said...

Oh Rachel - it sucks that you are going through all of this, you've been through enough already! I hope the doctors take better care of you in Vienna. Thinking of and praying for you.

Michele said...

Oh Rachel, I am so sorry. Just thinking of you and praying...