Saturday, October 3, 2009

So Sick

I arrived in the Mystery Country about 58 hours ago. I've already been to two medical facilities. As soon as I have the strength I'm going to google the local word for insane because I'm sure I've been called that. Well, maybe not yet but there's a better than even chance I will hear it if I don't start feeling better soon.

Actually my first medical clinic encounter was a maternity/fertility clinic. We took a taxi there with a 3-pack a day smoker driver and a fleet of trucks with no emissions standards. Cue headache from hell. As soon as the doctor saw me she was alarmed and took my blood pressure and it was quite high for me so she suggested shot. I am so embarrassed to say this but I felt so bad I didn't even question it. It makes me shudder to admit that. I felt better within 5 minutes although still a little woozy. I'll tell you more about the clinic later but it was very nice, new, and beautiful and on the outskirts of town (because you can't build new construction in the middle of town) which meant we had another long trip home. We decided to stop and buy a tv even though I was starving and could not care less about having a tv. That took forever and I could barely stand by the time we got back in a cab because--oh yeah, me feet HURT like you cannot imagine. Okay, so we're finally on our way to dinner and we had a nice dinner right around the corner from our apartment. By the time we walked home, I wasn't sure if I was going to able to make it to bed. I was shivering, nautious, and my head was pounding. This went on for most of the night. Late this morning TOIAW cancelled our dinner plans and loaded me in a taxi to see the PA at the embassy. He diagnosed me with a tension headache due to the stress of the move and sent me home with pain medicine and valium because he's a little concerned that "the move has been far more emotionally difficult that I realize." He's wrong about this because I totally realize how difficult it is.

I slept for many hours this afternoon and hoped to feel better when I awoke but I don't really. I'm so hungry but we have very little food, no pots and pans yet, and everytime I start to eat I get full very quickly. At this point, I'm praying this is a virus that will run it's course soon.

If you've made it this far in reading this post, you deserve an award because it's beyond pathetic and whiny. Hopefully I will feel better soon--please, Lord!--and can write some positive things about the MC.

7 comments:

Soapchick said...

Oh Rachel you poor thing! I hope this passes soon! Get better so you can tell us more interesting things about MC!

The Gutsy Mom said...

That's a doozy of a "tension headache" you've got! Get well soon!

S said...

wow. That's something of a headache. I hope you are feeling better soon.
My guess of the MC is Bulgaria or Romania. Anyways, I really hope you will enjoy your stay there and that the moving truck will soon be on your doorsteps with all the stuff.

Michele said...

Oh Rachel! I hope you feel better soon!!!

AKD said...

Oh, Rachel. :( This isn't whiny at all - you feel horrible when you're supposed to be having fun! I hope this goes away for you!

Rachel said...

I really hope you're feeling better by now!

AKD said...

Rachel - I so hope you're feeling better now. I've been thinking of you - what a lot of work to do when feeling poorly.