Thursday, October 29, 2009

Lifelines

So I used the phone-a-friend option and called someone who talked me down. I do want it noted for the record that I have never watched an entire episode of Millionaire and I'm not entirely sure how I know the terminology but apparently I do.

Lonliness is--in my completely non-mental health professional mind--one of the most dangerous feelings out there. For me it's probably the worst emotion I have faced in this nearly eleven month journey of loss and learning to live again. Some feelings are uglier--bitterness, anyone?--but none are as all-consuming as feeling alone.

If you feel alone today I hope you will also reach out to a friend. If a friend reaches out to you today, listen to them, speak the truth with love, and talk them down. I love you, Joss, and all my other friends who have listened to me, prayed for me, cried with me, and showed me time and time again that I am never alone.

6 comments:

The Gutsy Mom said...

I just want to say two things. (1) I know how horribly, horribly consuming and defeating loneliness can be, and I am so sorry you were feeling it, and (2) I am so relieved you used your phone-a-friend. The one you chose is amazing. I love you both.

AKD said...

Rachel, I am sending you the world's biggest hug from half a planet away. I am so glad that you are reaching out - my e-mail is angiedewaard@gmail.com if you ever want to chat! There's obviously a time difference, but I am thinking of you often. You're so brave and awesome, starting out in a new place. It's great that you're embracing your existing friends/family while striking out on new relationships.

This is horribly off-topic, but I just wanted to say how much your words and prayers mean to me. You're amazing and an inspiration.

Rachel said...

I'm so glad you called a friend. Really hoping today is better.

Soapchick said...

Hi Rachel- just checking in on you. Sorry I've been behind on reading my blogs for the past couple of weeks. Are you feeling better?

AKD said...

Hey, Rachel - just wanted to check in, since I hadn't seen any blogs in a while. Hope all is going great!

JJ and Michelle Cartmill said...

Love you babe! I got my laptop back so we can Skype. Call me soon! Miss you!