Thursday, October 22, 2009

Don't Hate Me Because I'm Beautiful

Rather, hate me because beginning tomorrow I have a house manager. Now, Megan and Krista, I know we talked about this and I said I wasn't going to hire anyone but it truly does seem that everyone here has someone so we gave into the peer pressure. Additionally, we are partially reimbursed for the cost so that helps.

You're probably asking the question, "What is a house manager?" I guess I'll find out tomorrow. We met her the other night when she came over for an interview. She doesn't speak English so we didn't chat much but she seemed to have a meaningful conversation with TOIAW. Initially we wanted to hire your regular, run-of-the-mill housekeeper but once TOIAW listed her proposed duties (cleaning, ironing, some shopping/coordinating grocery delivery, some errands, and maybe some cooking if she has time because TOIAW loves authentic MC food), she said it sounded more like she would be the house manager. So there you go. Also, when he proposed 4 hours a day twice a week she said she would need more time so we agreed on 5 hours twice a week (Note to self: Clean house before conducting housekeeper interviews). She stipulated upfront that she will take taxis when she runs our errands--and we'll pay for them--and she also was clear about having paid vacations (that's one English phrase she knows well). She drives a hard bargain, that HM. There was much discussion over her salary but TOIAW also drives a hard bargain (those of you who know him IRL are probably laughing at that gross understatement) which means we are paying her what we budgeted and we have her for two extra hours a week. Score! Which is not to say we're running a sweat shop but some people here have been known to take advantage of the foreigners if you know what I mean.

The HM looks very young but she's actually 42 and has a 17 year old daughter so apparently managing houses is a career that keeps you young. We'll probably test that theory... Anyway, I really liked her and I think we'll find a way to communicate although I hope I don't subject her to too much butchering of her native language. She has excellent references from others and that makes me feel good because what's the point in saving a few dollars but being paranoid about whether or not you can trust someone?

Now I will be free to spend hours writing and editing TOIAW's grad school applications. Maybe I'd rather iron?

5 comments:

Soapchick said...

Totally sweet! I can't wait to hear about the adventures of having a House Manager!

The Gutsy Mom said...

That is seriously awesome. You deserve the help and the break. I'm a bit envious over here...

AKD said...

I am wicked jealous!! Hopefully that takes some stress off of you and your husband - can't wait to hear stories!

Tracy said...

Hey! I have a new title. It seems I'm a "house manager." But my benefits and pay aren't as good. ;)

JJ and Michelle Cartmill said...

Spoiled!! LOL!