Sunday, October 18, 2009

Are You Kidding Me?

I think "Are you kidding me?" is going to be a regular feature for the blog. The problem is there's just so much material. First we'll take a look at this week's runners-up:

  • My Internet connection only works a few hours a day. Mind you, that's not continuous hours. I utter the phrase, "Are you kidding me?" many times each day.

  • After unpacking all kitchen-related boxes I noticed I did not have any serving pieces. It seems TOIAW decided to put those in storage. I finally have a beautiful china cabinet in which I could display so many gorgeous pieces I rarely use only they're in a storage facility on a different continent. TOIAW said he could have them find them and send them to me if I really think I need them. Are you kidding me?

This week's ARKM winner is: Squattie Potties at the ballet!!! Tonight we went to the ballet in a take-your-breath-away stunning theater. I really had to tinkle by intermission so I went to the bathroom and was shocked, no more like SHOCKED!!! to open the stall door and see a squattie potty. I just stared at it. There were two steps up and then a hole in the floor. Now I'm no stranger to squattie potties but, dude, I was dressed up in heels and Spanx so I pretty sure it wasn't going to be safe for me. I turned around, walked out, and practically pushed people out of my way to get to TOIAW and explain what I had just seen only as soon as I telling him I had to go really bad. So back I went and to my pleasant surprise on the other side of the bathroom the stalls contained what could pass for rudimentary toilets. When I went to wash my hands there was no soap, hand dryers, or paper towels*. After one uses a squattie potty, I think the minimum you should provide them is soap.

All through the second act I just kept thinking about the dancers. They were very talented and the costumes and stage design were very well done but would you ever feel like a huge success if you danced in a theater with squattie potties? A question for the ages, I suppose.


*Oh, and by the way, our tickets were not inexpensive; I do believe they could have found the money to buy soap, paper towels, and perhaps even begin saving to buy toilets with seats.

6 comments:

The Gutsy Mom said...

A question for the ages, indeed! I am laughing so hard right now. But I love that you've been to the ballet already. And, seriously, about the serveware, what was he thinking?

AKD said...

What in the world? How does that exemplify class or sophistication? Ugh - hopefully your shoes came out okay. :)

Michele said...

I had to laugh about the squattypotties. It's amazing what we take for granted...

Soapchick said...

OMG I haven't thought of those squatty potty things since I lived in Spain (where some were just holes in the ground). Thanks for taking me back 12 years. LMAO!!! Maybe you should buy one of those plastic things for women so you can pee standing up - on your next trip home to the US.

Soapchick said...

BTW - how is your doggie? Is she back in the US with your mom?

mrsmuelly said...

Ewwww! The idea of squattie potties as I sit in the wonderful USA just stuns me. There could be worse things though, like no soap.... Wait they didn't have that either. Hmm, hope the ballet was nice then.