Friday, September 25, 2009

Like Riding A Bike?

It's been a LONG time since I've been in a social situation with strangers. Well, that's not entirely true because in late April I went to a party at one of TOIAW's friend's houses but it was rather low-key and the evite mentioned jello shots (because of this, I almost didn't go) so it wasn't what I would call formal. I've been in a bit of a cocoon the past nine months and while I'm okay with that, I think I'm ready to break out. At least I thought I was but earlier today when TOIAW told me we have plans next Saturday night I kind of froze a little inside. For those of you who don't know me, I used to be good at this kind of thing and it certainly didn't ever scare me.

I hope it all comes back to me. You know, like riding a bike. That would be so lovely! I really want to tell you about the guest list but TOIAW has already expressed concerns about possible security issues with my blog so I better not. I don't have the I-regret-I-have-but-one-blog-to-give-for-my-country attitude and I intend on keeping this one, albeit as anonymously as possible.

4 comments:

AKD said...

I know exactly what you mean about not really being "into" situations with strangers right now - I'm also really social, but am terrified of the two or three weddings we have coming up this fall, and I have RSVP'ed "no" to a wedding shower and bachelorette party (partially because I wouldn't know anyone but the bride). I think it's normal, since we can't really predict how we'll feel on any given day.

I am confident that you will have do wonderfully. I keep telling myself that it's better to start off on social events that my husband can also go to - it sounds like TOIAW is an amazing support. :) I hope you have a fantastic time. (I've been thinking about you lately - hope everything is still going great with PP!)

Michele said...

A friend of mine gave me the advice "fake it til you make it". She advised me to just pretend I was someone else, that I was an actor with a role to play until I was able to be myself again. So I did... And it sucked and was really hard to do, but it got me through situations that I didnt want to get through.

mrsmuelly said...

Social situations are hard even with people you know. It does get a bit easier (I thunk), but there are still the awkward times. Hope all goes well with the mystery guest list :-)

Soapchick said...

I like Michele's fake it til you make it advice. You can do it Rachel. One step in front of the other. Can't wait to hear all about it!