Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Diagnosis

This is going to be brief because I barely slept last night and right now I am physically and emotionally exhausted.

PP was diagnosed with a congenital heart defect. [A PDA for all of you who know what that is--and if you've had a preemie, you know.] Most dogs--60-65%--who have this develop congestive heart failure within the first year of life. Do you know how awesome it feels to be on the GOOD side of statistics for a change?! So let's hope to stay on the good side of the statistics when she has corrective surgery next week! The surgery is not without risk but it's necessary (though it does make me nervous that the risks are minor...see above comments about statistics). I really liked the cardiologist and was very impressed with both her and the clinic.

Oh, and by the way, heart surgery for dogs is not cheap. Who knew?

2 comments:

Soapchick said...

Praying that she pulls through the surgery. She's made it this far and is a survivor! Sorry about the expense however - ouch.

AKD said...

I am so very glad that it sounds like this is treatable - I pray that you have a happy, healthy puppy after the surgery. :)