Monday, August 24, 2009

Trick Question?

TOIAW and I recently purchased a house. This qualified us for the first time homeowners' tax credit and once we heard we could file for it now rather than wait until we filed our taxes next year we were all over it.

Friday the IRS was so sweet to send TOIAW and I both identical letters stating they had credited our account (not sure what account that is...do we all have IRS accounts?) and we would receive our refund within two weeks. I was very concerned to see they sent these letters to our previous address. I was sure sure to put our new address on the amended return and, well, it just kind of makes sense that if we purchased a new house, we would have a new address, right? Mr. Ship at the IRS thinks so and he is "so very sorry" and he "has no idea what happened" but the check was sent to our old address before the aforementioned letters that have already been forwarded and received. That's not good news for the home team, kids.

So I called the post office to ask if they could please check our old mailbox (the house is empty) and make sure there wasn't anything there that was accidentally not forwarded. The postal worker then asked me, "Are you receiving all your first and second class mail?" How could I possibly know that? I asked her just that and she replied, "Is that a trick question?" I hate to admit defeat but I just thanked her and hung up because I didn't see that conversation going anywhere.

Then I called my insurance to try to sort out my behavioral health referral. That was equally awful and fruitless. I don't have the energy to explain the details--besides, it would be really boring to read--but it looks like I'm going to have to pay $300 and then 50% after that. That's not really that big of a deal but I shouldn't have to pay anything. Don't worry, though, I'll still go to my appointment on Wednesday and I already have a list of things to discuss.

The mail just arrived with plenty of forwarded mail but sans refund check. Bummer.

3 comments:

Mags said...

Congrats on the purchase of your first home!!! I hope you receive your tax credit soon.

N said...

Congrats on the purchase, but WOW, what a pain!

The Gutsy Mom said...

Oh my. (And congrats on the home!)