Friday, June 19, 2009

Relief

As I've said before, the IVF program at Walter Reed is cheap but it's also no frills. They do not hold your hand and they're very open about this. Once the director 'clears' you for a cycle your chart is sent to the financial coordinator and only after you have paid her are you able to schedule your start date (baseline ultrasound). We've had difficulty with every step: When we attended the orientation class our chart was "missing" so when I offered the nurse the forms on our medical history, she did not want them. After two reminder phone calls and a we-were-in-the-neighborhood-visit to the office, the chart was located but the director couldn't clear it because he didn't have the aforementioned forms so please fax it over and the director will look it. But, by the way, he'll be out of the office for a couple of days and won't look at it until he gets back. It was then a bit of a surprise when I received a phone call last week from the financial person. I gave her my card number and she said they would call me soon to schedule my cycle. I waited one day. Two days. Then I got a call and I knew from the number is was from WRAMC...but it was the financial coordinator saying our payment didn't go through because we needed to have a higher transaction limit. That was easily fixed but I was upset that it was delaying us even further and I was trying so hard not to be discouraged. So then I waited another two business days before I called the scheduling nurses. I managed not to lose it until I heard the second "I'll be out of the office until [next week]" message. Are you trying to tell me something, God? I know I said I would give this to You, but nothing is going smoothly!!!

I then realized I had the phone number for the head nurse, so I left her a voice mail (no one answers their phones). I know it was long but apparently it was also quite rambly because when she called me yesterday she said she knew I left all the pertinent information but could I please give it to her again so she didn't have to re-listen to the message? I quickly gave her my name and ID number and she put me on hold for what seemed like forever before coming back and telling me my start date is 7 July. This is the EXACT date I wanted but we had already been informed this would not happen because it was full and an exception was unlikely. Apparently God had it under control all along.

I don't think it's a small coincidence that we are going to plant a memorial tree for Sarah two days before I begin my cycle. In the midst of pain and sorrow, God always gives us hope.

In other news, the in-laws are leaving today. That deserves it's own post...and possibly some editing and/or deleting of blog posts but I'll explain all that later.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm so glad you got the start date you wanted!

mrsmuelly said...

Wow...God does have a way. I'm so excited for your upcoming cycle. I'll be here reading along!

Soapchick said...

Yeah I'm so glad you got a start date. In fact we just may be cycle buddies - we'll see! May Sarah use her angel wings to send a sibling to your belly! Praying for you Rachel.