Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Big Race!

I feel like I need to begin every blog post with an apology about why it's been so long since my last post. I'm fighting it, but I'm not going to do that this time.

So, Sunday is the big race! Tomorrow I would be 39 weeks so the timing is perfect. I've enjoyed training and running and I'm really excited about the race. I'm even more excited that the 10 mile race participants start further back than the 5k group so even if I come in last with the 5k people, I still won't be running alone. Good news, huh? I think so anyway...

After the race, I leave for a one-week trip to Orlando with my aunt and two cousins. TOIAW will join us on Wednesday. I couldn't be more excited to get away and relax!

When we get home we'll have to make some major decisions about the move to the Mystery Country. Ugh. We'll have the hormone test results by then which will are a huge factor in our decision. If I make it into the program here in D.C., our choice will be between whether to try in July or wait until October. If I try in July, I will immediately go to live in Oklahoma. If we wait until October, I will go with TOIAW for a few months, come back here for IVF, and then go to Oklahoma. Each option poses a variety of logistical challenges. Not getting into the program involves an entirely different group of logistical and financial issues. To quote Scarlett, I can't think about this now! I'll go crazy if I do! I'll think about it tomorrow!

The hormone testing went well in terms of side effects. Last time I took this particular drug--at a lower dose--it made me completely stark raving mad. This time, I barely noticed it. I hope that doesn't mean it had no effect of me. I asked Dr. Google but the results are inconclusive. I'm really anxious about it, though. To be completely honest, I can't exactly say I've had zero side effects because I've had the rather unpleasant side effect of heart palpitations and mild chest discomfort. Yeah. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac so we went to the ER Tuesday night. Not to worry, all's well. This has actually happened to me before when I've been on hormones. It's disconcerting but my test results have always been completely normal. I've also had mild hot flashes but nothing like before and it's a bit difficult to measure whether or not I'm overly emotional because I still cry at least a little every day (although that's due to happy thoughts just as often as sad ones).

Who cares? I'm going to Disney World next week, staying in an awesome luxury hotel, and having FUN!

3 comments:

Mags said...

Have fun at Disney!!! I went for the first time ever in January, and I can't wait to get back.

mrsmuelly said...

Wow, that's a lot to think about...

Glad that the testing went "well". And you are allowed to be a hypochondriac!

Enjoy Disney - I'm quite jealous. Definitely ride a couple roller coasters for me.

AdventureMom said...

Good Luck in your race (or should I say "break a leg?")! I'm so proud of you!