Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Patient

First of all, I can't believe it's been a week since I wrote my last post. The week has flown by! TOIAW made it home and we had a nice weekend together. Ahhh, but the last two days have been loooooong...

TOIAW had his nose job yesterday. I know this is going to sound horrible but I'm going to throw it out there anyway: He looks awful. Swollen, black (actually blue-ish purple) eyes, swollen upper lip area, and a swollen nose with splints in his nostrils keeping them open--yeah, it's not a good look. Oh, and he didn't have enough cartilage in his septum so they took it from his left ear. He basically looks like he was in a fight and lost.

The cartilage complication extended the surgery so it ended up lasting about four and a half hours. I was beginning to wonder where he was but then his doctor popped in and gave me the low down on the rhinoplasty showdown. I could do an entire post on this doctor but suffice it to say dude fancies himself an artist (pronounce that ar-tEEst). I assume this isn't all that rare among plastic surgeons but he is an army doctor so I'm not sure how that's working for him. He seemed disappointed when TOIAW turned down his offer of a silicone chin implant.

I seriously have no idea why anyone would choose to have nose surgery purely for cosmetic reasons. I'm not sure when TOIAW is going to look presentable but it ain't gonna be by the end of the week, I can assure you of that. Crazy. I can, however, see how people get addicted to pain pills. They gave TOIAW a prescription for 50 pills!!! The script says to take 1-2 every 4 hours but TOIAW has taken very few especially considering his pain is greatest now. I suppose he could 'max out' (I'm sure there's a more technical medical term for this but I don't know it) and take 12 a day but even still that's a 4 day supply and if you're truly in that much pain, you may need to return to the doctor. I'm not suggesting TOIAW tough it out without medication but I don't think narcotics should be handed out so freely. Okay, off my soapbox.

So, TOIAW is recovering very nicely, all things considered. He slept most of the day. I love him but he can be a bit of a baby when it comes to illness and pain. He gets rather whiny... Oh well, I probably do also. His twin brother is coming in tonight for an interview tomorrow and then he leaves early Thursday morning. The only full day he will be here is tomorrow--my 35th birthday. Considering our history and relationship, this seems supremely unfair to me. I'm definitely going to require a birthday do-over this weekend!

5 comments:

Soapchick said...

Oh poor TOIAW!! Ugh, I must have missed why he had to have the surgery, but either way it sounds very painful. I hope he heals soon. Happy early Birthday - I hope this year brings you much deserved peace and happiness Rachel!

Krista said...

I was also going to say "Oh, poor TOIAW" but it looks like its already been taken... so I will say, "poor you"! I can only imagine what Brandon would be like after a surgery like that (he too errs on the side of "baby" when sick :)). I hope that he has an easy recovery and returns to looking somewhat normal soon. Happy soon-to-be Birthday! I hope things go smoothly with the BIL and that you have a nice make-up birthday when TOIAW starts to feel better. Love you!

mlg- believe-n-miracles said...

Poor TOIAW! It sounds so painful!

Happy birthday to you! I hope you can have a relaxing and peaceful day, make it the whole weekend:)

Tracy said...

Hope he feels better soon!!! And yes, you deserve a do-over this weekend. Hope it's a great one! Happy birthday...and I hope the coming year brings you love and peace.

The Gutsy Mom said...

Oh my goodness. How is your patient faring? What are your plans for the b-day do-over?