Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Outnumbered

On Valentine's Day, TOIAW stopped by Petsmart to get a valentine for PP and ended up filling out an application to be foster puppy parents (we gave no preference on age we just refer to all dogs as puppies). I know full well that fostering is exactly how the Gutsy family became a 2-dog family but, you know, whatever.

We were actually going to receive our new temporary family member last week but PP got sick so we postponed it until Saturday. TOIAW was busy writing a paper so I went to the adoption event alone. Near the end of the event I was asked if we could--just for the night--take care of two dogs rather than just one. I didn't even hesitate a nanosecond before replying yes. And that, my friends, is how we became a 3-dog operation. Oh. My. Goodness. It was nuts. We quickly organized a zone defense that seemed to work pretty well. I won't lie, though, on Sunday I was counting the hours until we took the two little ones to the adoption event. [By the way, the events take place every Saturday and Sunday from 2-5 and there are several people who volunteer both days every weekend. That's hardcore if you ask me. I'm too selfish to donate those prime weekend hours every week.] I then raced home to do all the things I needed to do but couldn't do because I had been too busy keeping two puppies and a confused older dog out of trouble. Thankfully, one of the gang members went to his forever home Sunday. He was the youngest and most demanding of the two puppies. Incidentally, he went to a home that already has two other dogs--wow. We're now down to a more manageable 1:1 puppy to human ratio. The dog we are fostering is about five months old and is a hound/lab mix. She had some parasite issues so we're working on fattening her up...she came to the right house. She's very skittish around people but slowly she's getting better. Thankfully, she follows PP as if she's the Pied Piper of Northern Virginia which is the only way I can get her to do what I want.

While we're fostering for a variety of reasons, the main one is so we're not tempted to add another four-legged member to the family but guess who is suggesting we consider it? I'll give you a hint, it's not me or PP. He's such a softie! He also appears to be quite allergic to the puppy so it might not even be an issue. We gave her a bath yesterday and I'm working on dusting and cleaning to see if that helps. Apparently the medicine they give the dogs to rid them of fleas and ticks also dries out their skin so she had quite a bit of dander. TOIAW has never had a problem before so this is especially odd.

Well, I'm off to the park with PP and then I will resume my cleaning frenzy.

3 comments:

Soapchick said...

Sounds like fun and a good way for you to share your love - to some animals in need. Good for you.

Mrs.Preppy said...

I want to see some pictures of these doggies!

JES said...

Too funny Rach! Love the mental pic I have of you and hubby keeping PP and pals in line:)