Tuesday, February 10, 2009

It's Only Money

This morning we were jarred awake by a loud knock on the front door. To be fair, it was probably way past the time most normal people roll out of bed but it was still early enough that we wondered who it could be. TOIAW and PP were all over it but I heard the conversation easily. Our guest was a man asking for $490 for his rent. TOIAW told him we couldn't help him. I've thought of that man all day. I wish we would have offered him money to rake our leaves or do the laundry or dishes or even scoop poop (I'm pretty sure the last three would cost more than $40 though). Ugh. We always say no to people and then regret it later. This past month I cannot tell you how many times I've thought of that old saying, "If money will fix it, it's not a problem." On one hand, I'm annoyed beyond measure with the economic stimulus plan and on the other hand my heart breaks for people who are struggling right now and I hope they get relief soon.

Since yesterday didn't go so well, I made a plan for today. TOIAW and I had some administrative things to take care of this morning so we did that and then I dropped him off at class. PP decided I would benefit from some time at the dog park and she was right. There's a reason they take dogs to visit people in hospitals. We strategically planned our visit to coincide with the time most of the dog walkers are there and I got to do a lot of petting while she did a lot of playing. I then hung out at home before going to the gym because I wanted to break-up the day a bit and that seemed to work well. That is, until I called my dad on the way home from the gym.

While I was at the gym, I saw on the news where there had been tornadoes in my hometown but I wasn't concerned enough to go out to get my phone. I know, but the gym is on the third floor and I just didn't want to climb those stairs again. Thankfully, my family was unharmed by the tornado. The not so good news is actually quite private* but it really sucks. Someone I love about as much as I could ever love anyone is in a really bad place right now. I can't go to this person but I am praying they come to me so I can tell them how much I love them and always will.

Thank you so much for the sweet comments you left me yesterday. They mean so very much; you just have no idea.

*Sorry, I know that's annoying when bloggers do that.

1 comment:

The Gutsy Mom said...

I saw the news about the tornadoes and wondered if it was in your neck of the woods. I am so glad to hear your family survived that. But I am sorry to hear about the private problem; I will pray that it is resolved and that the person finds you. Also, I think making plans is a great step, although, if you are like me, sometimes just making plans can be exhausting... LOVE YOU!