Monday, November 24, 2008

A Few Things

Nothing particularly interesting has happened in the past week but here some items I wanted to share:

  • Yesterday we went to the re-opening of the Smithsonian's American History Museum. They had people dressed as famous people in history one of which was Samuel Adams. I heard him talking to some pre-teen girls who then told their father they just met Samuel L. Jackson.
  • While at the museum, we saw the copy of the Gettysburg Address that is usually in the Lincoln Bedroom at the White House. There were signs everywhere stating "No Photographs" as well as guards verbally reminding people every thirty seconds. When it was our turn to view there were no less than three people taking pictures "secretly" with their cell phones and small cameras. This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine (there really is a reason they tell you not to photograph, in case you were wondering) and as we were walking away from the display case I said to TOIAW, "I guess the term 'No Photography' is not clear enough for everyone to understand." A few minutes later this woman in her early twenties tapped me on the shoulder and said that she wasn't taking a picture and, therefore, there was no need for me to "trash talk her." Ummm, I wasn't ever speaking to anyone other than TOIAW and if you weren't taking a picture, I wasn't talking about you either. We continued to walk away while she and her companion followed us until TOIAW told them--in a semi-polite way--to be quiet and move away from us. That's the story of how I almost got into a brawl at the Smithsonian. Classy.
  • I added a new member to my staff: Laundry Boy. He bears a striking resemblance to TOIAW, doesn't fold, and demands a specific brand of fabric softener but he does carry the laundry from the basement upstairs to our room and so far he's really working out well.
  • Tomorrow is my 4-D high-resolution Level II ultrasound. I have no idea what any of that means (what is the fourth dimension?) but I'm excited! Details to follow.

Okay, that's about it and now I must get ready for my language class. Just once I'd like to go in there feeling like I'm completely prepared. I don't think that will be today.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Ooh!!! I want a laundry boy! :) How did the US go?