Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Family, Food, Flowers, & Funerals

Grandma died on Friday afternoon. It was peaceful and dignified according to the family members who were there. I was sad I was not able to see her but I am here for the funeral and I know that would have meant a lot to her. The funeral is today. In a few hours, actually.

The past few days have been filled with receiving visitors and eating the copious amounts of food they have been so gracious to bring. I'm glad my parents have two refrigerators! It's been nice to see so many friends and family members. My brothers' in-laws have both sent lovely flower arrangements (one in a vase that is so cool my mom and I might come to blows over it) and brought food. My in-laws? Nada. Maybe this is yet another cultural difference? Do people not do funerals like this in New York? I would think at least a card or phone call would be appropriate.

Everyone seems to be holding up pretty well. I'm dreading the funeral for no other reason than the fact that I hate funerals. I prefer memorial services that are celebrations of life. My grandma's body will be there, open casket, but she's not so I just don't get it. She's with Jesus, praise Him! There is no sadness in that. None! When I think of how He welcomed her to Him on Friday, I just smile. That's the thought I go to when I'm sad. I will miss her--don't get me wrong!--but she is with her Savior and she now knows first-hand His true and perfect love.

5 comments:

soapchick said...

My condolences on your grandma's passing, but you are correct - she is with the Lord now and very happy!

Rachel said...

My condolences on your loss. And no, nobody does funerals like the South. I'm glad that you made it in time to see all your family and share in the funeral.

The Gutsy Mom said...

I am thinking of where your grandmother is and I am smiling. My prayers are with you as you and your family weather the funeral and all.

Kymberli said...

Rachel, I am thinking of you and your family and holding you all up in prayer.

Michell said...

Coming over from lost and found to say I'm so very sorry for your loss. I've never visited your blog before and I have to say that I LOVE your blog layout, it's so cute.