Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Buzz Kill

The following conversation took place last night during our anniversary dinner:

TOIAW: "So, I am going on that trip."
Me: "Great...which trip is that?"
TOIAW: "You know, the one I've been trying to coordinate with Major X and Leutinant Colonel Y."
Me: "Oh, I didn't realize you were going I thought you were just planning the trip."
TOIAW: "No, I am going also and I'm really excited to see everyone."
Me: "Well, of course I'm not excited for you to go to there but it's just a short trip and I can hardly complain when so many have their husbands there for so long. When are you going?"
TOIAW: Edited for security reasons.
Me: "So after the fertilized embryos are transferred to me and I'm supposed to be resting, relaxing, and generally taking it easy--no small feat for a woman hyped-up on hormones--you're going to be in the most dangerous combat zone in the world?"
TOIAW: "Our salary that month will be tax free so you can do some online shopping to help you relax." Silence. Pushes plate towards me. "You can have that last piece of garlic bread."

I have no emotions about this yet, but I'm sure I will when the time comes. I'm always good for an irrational thought or eight. Throw in some hormone injections and it can get nasty.

God prepared me for this, though. At our Bible study we have a time of fellowship during which someone gives a brief devotion then we split up into a specific study. Coincidentally (or not really, because nothing is coincidence when it comes to God), both studies focused on God's Lordship. Not only is God my Savior, but His is also Lord of my life. I don't need to worry, I just need to trust and obey Him. These were two of the verses discussed:

"Why do you call Me, Lord, Lord, and do not [practice] what I tell you?" Luke 6:46 (Amplified Bible)

"Lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and mind and do not rely on your own insight or understanding. In all your ways know, recognize, and acknowledge Him, and He will direct and make straight and plain your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6 (Amplified Bible)

Roger that, God! I hear you loud and clear. Thanks for keeping life interesting!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

"Lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and mind and do not rely on your own insight or understanding. In all your ways know, recognize, and acknowledge Him, and He will direct and make straight and plain your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6 (Amplified Bible)

I love that. So true. Thank you for posting this today.

You and your husband will be in my prayers.