Tuesday, February 12, 2008

British Invasion

Last night I received an email from my doctor requesting I see him this morning. I already had a plan for my day and that errand was not part of it. Oh well, I went anyway and it totally didn't have to be done today but it is done so whatever.

Because of the change of plans, I had to go with TOIAW to work. He told me what time we needed to leave and five minutes before said time, I was tying my shoes as he walked in from outside and yelled, "Rachel, the British are coming!!!" Right-O, Paul Revere.

Seriously, I had no idea what he was talking about. I was beginning to think we might need to review the information I've collected on sleep deprivation. Turns out, he had an important meeting with a contingent of soldiers from the armed forces of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

It's no secret I have Anglophile leanings so I was immediately interested. I told him he could mention that I made scones (from scratch!) last week. You know, to add to his British street cred. I also asked if he could kindly find out if any of his new mates knew either Princes William or Harry and, if so, if they might be able to facilitate a meeting with them. I offered to provide tea and scones for such a meeting. TOIAW/Paul Revere reminded me that he was not so impressed with my scones. I reminded him that, while not perfect, they were good and, anyway, he ate them plain. Duh! Everyone knows scones are merely a conduit for really good stuff like clotted cream, butter, or any artery-clogging spread of your choice and jam. Sadly, TOIAW/PR's knowledge of British fare begins and ends with Cadbury's. Another request was for him to find out if anyone is planning on becoming a Yeoman Warder because I would love to spend the night in the Tower of London (only as a guest and not a prisoner).

When we arrived at his work, the Brits were all standing around as there were some issues with getting them through security. I got a kick out of the salute one of them gave TOIAW/PR...so formal and cheesy! I was a bit disappointed, however, that I didn't see anyone marching in that distinctive British way. Her Majesty does have some strapping young lads in her army. Strapping young lads, indeed...Right, where was I? Oh yes, well, TOIAW/PR's mates have invited him out for a pint tonight. Suits me just fine, I'd rather stay in with my cuppa and watch the telly.

1 comment:

QueenMother said...

I am a total anglophile as well. I hope your cupa was smashing!!