Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I Am From the Circus...

This morning I returned from running errands to see a man at my neighbor's door. He showed her a piece of paper, she went into the house, and then came back and handed him something. I had talked to her as I was leaving the house and she's very sick so I didn't bother being nosy and asking her what it was about because it everything looked fine and it's not uncommon for people to come around asking for food or clothes. A few minutes later my doorbell rang. The same man was there and he started speaking in German but I told him I didn't speak German--because that's one of the only things I can say in German--so he pulled out his paper. I am totally serious, this is what it said, "I am from the circus. Could you please give a little money to help feed the animals." Perhaps I have a strange sense of humor, but I found this to be absolutely hilarious. I went in to get him some change (3 Euro which is probably $6,500 with the current exchange rate but I stopped doing the math because it's so depressing) and managed to give it to him without laughing in his face. I truly hope the money is used to feed the animals but if it isn't I am still happy I gave him the money because it takes real courage to go around with an ice-breaker like, "I am from the circus..."

P.S. He did have a handle bar mustache but I didn't notice any other circus-like characteristics. I think they should send the bearded lady around because that would certainly give them more legitimacy.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

That is by far the funniest story I've heard in days.

LMAO

Happy Homemaker said...

That IS funny!

clemsongirlandthecoach said...

Damn. You've met my husband. Kidding.