Saturday, November 3, 2007

They're Just Wasting Their Money

TOIAW is working nights for a couple of weeks (he doesn't like it when I say he's working nights as he prefers the term "reverse cycle operations" but isn't my way much easier to say and understand?). We don't live far from where he works but I still worry about his staying awake on the way home so I bought several of those bottled Frappacinos from Starbucks. As I was putting my groceries on the belt, some lady behind me starts having a loud conversation with her friend about the contents of my basket. First there was criticism of my spending extra money for organic milk then came her dismay of the lack of fresh fruits and vegetables (which I buy at the German stores because the quality and selection is far better). My most egregious shopping error? The Frappacinos, of course. She went on and on and on about how "some people" make such poor financial choices and how she doesn't feel sorry for them since it's their own stupidity blah, blah, blah. She proudly told her companion that she and her husband only have a "smallish" amount of credit card debt, their car loans, and her school loans which they don't have to pay until she graduates in 3 years. Are you kidding me? Shutting her down would have been too easy so I just gave her a look of pity, shook my head, and walked away.

No comments: