Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thankful

***I'm sorry there are no spaces between paragraphs; Blogger is being a pain this morning.


On this Thanksgiving Eve, I am thankful that I am no longer a flight attendant and therefore can spend a nice relaxing holiday with TOIAW. With snow in Chicago and Denver, today is sure to be a nightmare; I am so sorry if you are traveling through either of these airports. Some good advice: NEVER fly through O'Hare unless you do not need to arrive on time. Many of my friends find it difficult to believe that I was a flight attendant. I was, indeed, and most of the time I enjoyed the work and the passengers. I often worked on Thanksgiving even when my seniority afforded me a day off so that others could be with their families. Thanksgiving is a difficult travel time though. Everyone pretty much flies on the same days and the majority of passengers do not travel regularly (read: once a year or less) and require a lot of molly-coddling when it comes to storing luggage, finding seats, etc. Throw in the fact that airline employees have just enjoyed the "easy" months of September, October, and early November when the majority of passengers are business travelers who "know the drill" and the tension mounts. Full flights take longer to board and there are always the three people who have a Pavlovian response to boarding aircraft and MUST use the lavatory before take-off (I have been known to "hold it" for 3 hours just so I didn't have use the on-board facilities but to each his own) so you have a salmon swimming upstream situation once they attempt to return to their seats. Oh, and the unaccompanied minor children who break your heart because they are leaving Mom to spend the holiday with Dad but they don't want to leave Mom so they cry and cry; they tried to be brave for Mom who was crying at the gate but once they get on the aircraft, the flood gates open. Angry passengers, I could take, but these kids stayed in my thoughts for weeks and it would happen every holiday and summer.
This is the most vital piece of information I can offer the holiday traveler:
Do NOT ring your flight attendant call button and ask if you are going to make your connection. The flight attendants do not know or care if you are going to make your connection so do not bother asking them. Most flight attendants do not carry a Magic 8 Ball in their luggage nor is there a secret Bat Phone on board that can allow them to call to determine the status of your connecting flights. The airline will NOT hold the flight for you. I don't make the rules, I'm just telling you how it is.
Tomorrow TOIAW and I are flying to the UK (yes, I'm a good passenger, I stow my carry-on luggage COMPLETELY underneath the seat in front of me so I don't junk-up the overhead bins with all my stuff because I realize there are other people on the plane and that the overhead bins are shared space). I'm really looking forward to this little get-away. The only part that makes me nervous is driving to the hotel because, to my knowledge, TOIAW has never driven on the other side of the road. Don't worry, I'll be there to provide plenty of coaching if you know what I mean.
Safe travels and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

2 comments:

The Gutsy Mom said...

I just wanted to say hi and Happy Thanksgiving and tell you how much I love your new blog design. ADORABLE! Also, Happy Anniversary. Love you, miss you!

Happy Homemaker said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you!