Monday, November 19, 2007

The Second Anniversary...

...of our first wedding was Saturday. Perhaps I should say the second anniversary of our civil ceremony? Yes, we had a civil ceremony and then we had a big wedding. What, doesn't everyone do that? You would probably be surprised by how many people I know who have done just that. Uncle Sam is notorious for his poor timing which forces many couples to change/rush plans. Looking back, I don't quite recall why we had to get married early. A few things that come to mind are 1) it made it easier to pre-apply for housing in Germany...well, that's the only legitimate one that comes to mind. Maybe I was afraid he would change his mind? Maybe he wanted to fly free since that's an (the ONLY) advantage to having a flight attendant spouse? Maybe it was that he had only been back from the desert a matter of weeks and we realized how precious life was and we knew we couldn't wait an second longer to begin our life as husband and wife? No, more than likely it was the tax incentives at work.

In any event, I can still remember the day clearly: I worked a flight or two on the East coast then flew back to Seattle. As soon as I arrived, I showered and prepared for the "ceremony." TOIAW was late getting home which meant we had to rush through I-5 traffic (not so easy as anyone who has ever lived in WA knows). We were late and fussing at each other all the way to the judge's office. Fortunately, the murder trial over which he was presiding, ran a little late so he didn't notice us being late. Yes, murder trial. That's Tacoma for you. And really, nothing says romance like getting married in a room that, ten minutes prior, held a murder suspect being tried before a jury of his peers--it was romance, justice, and the American way. I get teary-eyed just thinking about it. Back to the ceremony...the judge was very kind AND he attended my alma mater so I knew we were in good hands. His office was filled with pictures of his family and he told us about his wife, children, and grandchildren. He waxed poetically about marriage and family which you might think would be cheesy coming from a random judge who oversees murder trials by day, but it was quite touching. We then moved into the court room to seal the deal. There, in full view of Mt. Ranier, one of the most majestic mountains in all the world, we officially became Husband and Wife. The entire experience was much more emotional than either one of us had anticipated. We have a beautiful photograph of Mt. Ranier in our home and when I look at it, I think of 17 November 2005 and that courtroom at the Pierce County Court House.

No comments: