Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Just Say No to Tofu

When we were driving to the airport in London a couple of mornings ago, I heard an interview with Heather Mills McCartney. The Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF): She's nuttier than a fruitcake. She recently went on a mini-media tour in the UK to slander Sir Paul, her ex-attorneys who fired her as a client, and the media for their biased reporting. But that's not what makes her crazy. On this particular interview with a well-known British radio host, she was talking about her campaign to encourage people to eat less meat due to the effects cattle grazing has on the environment. It's a great cause and I encourage it but, seriously, who is going to listen to a woman who has bad-mouthed one of the most beloved musicians of the 20th century no matter if you have a good word to share? She was very self-righteous in the interview and actually ended up leaving after the interviewer asked her to comment on her personal life. Now I know the media can be over-the-top but when you put yourself out there for a week or two only discussing personal matters and then, upon receiving horrible press and realizing your brilliant plan has blown-up in your face, decide you will now only discuss your various charities and causes, you are not going to have much credibility.

That being said, the interview did serve to reinforce my feelings on not eating so much meat (beef, chicken, or lamb). I would like to find more creative vegetarian dishes that are not black bean soup. I can't even find any good cookbooks online but I will look for them when I'm in the US (in a few days!!!). Do you have any good meatless dishes or vegetarian cookbook recommendations? As you might have guessed from the title of the post, we're not too big on tofu but we're rather agreeable to other suggestions.

Thanks for your help in saving some trees (cattle grazing needs lead to deforestation in many areas) and saving us from clogged arteries!

3 comments:

Tracy said...

I'm with you - really trying to limit the amount of meat I eat. Have you ever checked out this website:

www.sparkpeople.com

They have lots of good, healthy recipes.

Rachel said...

That is a great website, thanks. They have a lot of fabulous information just in time for all those New Year's resolutions!

The Gutsy Mom said...

I've got a couple of dishes I can email you about later... if you think of it, send me and email and I'll send them back to you. Tortilla soup, california couscous salad, tex-mex wheatberry salad, an awesome whole wheat pasta with spicy peanut sauce and asparagus... oh, I've got some treats for you...