Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Grandma Update

My grandmother's surgery went very well. The tumor was contained and not attached to the lung wall (whatever that means). Additionally, the second biopsy showed the cancer to be the kind that probably would not require further treatment meaning no chemo or radiation therapy. This is, of course, VERY good news!

She is currently in ICU and will be there for 3-4 days. This was a major surgery and the recovery will be painful, I'm afraid. It is my prayer that this is a wake-up call for her. I hope that she takes better care of herself in her remaining years so that she can get the most out of life! She has been very sad since my grandfather died and I think this has been a very good wake-up call for her. Many people are alive but it is an individual choice as to whether or not you are going to LIVE your life.

This has also been a huge wake-up call for me. I need to find ways to engage my grandparents and spend time with them even though I'm so far away. They are not going to be here forever so I need to get all the recipes, stories, and memories of them now so that I don't have any regrets. It won't make it any easier for me when they do go, but that way I'll still have pieces of them here with me.

Thank you again for all your prayers and words of encouragement. I know I've said that a million times already but I just want you to know how very much I appreciate it!

2 comments:

Tracy said...

I'm so glad your grandma's surgery went well, and I hope she recovers as quickly as she can. IKWYM about needing to devote more time to her...I need to do the same.

Happy Homemaker said...

So glad to have found your blog! It does take effort to engage with our grandparents... I've been trying to do the same so you'll have to share your successes! Besides the holidays, our family tries to meet out for dinner at least once a month but we're only about 45 minutes away.